Note from RM Books: You’ll have noticed the breadth of books on RM Books continually expanding, but the RM Books platform itself is also continually being improved based on schools’ feedback. We’ll now be summarising “what’s new” for each future release of the RM Books platform on these blog pages. We’ll spare you the technical stuff, so we’ll just cover the new features and functionality that you’ll notice. If you want to stay up to date, you can RSS subscribe to this blog on the bottom right hand side menu.
- RM Books will be unavailable on Friday 28th November 2014 from 00:00 to 06:00am GMT
- Many international schools have been asking for RM Books to be available in their country. This release puts the functionality in place for that. International schools will soon be able to register for RM Books accounts. Over the next couple of weeks, the first of many ebooks for international schools will be added to the site.
- To make it easier to find books by language, a new left hand menu language filter will be added. For UK schools, that’s useful to find Welsh language books, for example.
- Book Notes are proving very popular – they’re the free book annotation tools allowing teachers to work on top of ebooks to personalise them with their own video, helpful YouTube clips, encouraging comments, voiceovers, useful links to other resources, to attach their favourite worksheets, start class discussions within the book, and to check comprehension with mid-book quizzes. These quizzes are auto marked and summarised back to the teacher via the Reports > Assessment dashboard. Teachers can share out the work of creating their first Book Notes between colleagues by annotating different books, then sharing their finished Book Notes. Now, based on requests from schools, teachers can view other teachers’ assessment results.
- Many schools use the combination of AR™ Book Level or Reading Age and Interest Age left hand filters, to quickly find hi-low and low-hi books suitable for reluctant readers (where interest age is ahead of reading age) or conversely, stretching books suitable for younger readers, or just to differentiate topic and subject content within lessons or homework. Reading Age and Interest Age will now be displayed on the book detail pages so teachers can see these useful indicators more easily.
- Live chat functionality will be added to the Help pages, so if you or your teachers are stuck with how to do something on RM Books or you think something’s not working properly, you can now get some help. Live chat will be available during the UK school day, 8:30am to 5pm.
We hope you find the new functionality useful. Please continue to send in your feedback about what you’d like to see added or improved.
RM Books team.